This informative Falls Prevention presentation is part of the Focus on Seniors series co-sponsored by the Blount County Office on Aging and the Blount County Public Library.
Attend Falls Prevention on Wednesday, January 25th at 11 a.m. in the Library’s Sharon Lawson Room.
- Jim Norton, Arthritis Foundation certified instructor for Walk with Ease.
- Beth La Fontaine, Community Health Coordinator for The University of Tennessee Medical Center and trainer with the Matter of Balance program.
- Joani Shaver, Office on Aging Director, who will talk about Staying Active and Independent for Life (S.A.I.L.).
Overview of the three fall prevention programs
- Walk with Ease is an evidence-based program provided through the Arthritis Foundation designed to reduce pain and improve overall health.
- A Matter of Balance (MOB) is designed to reduce the fear of falling and to increase activity levels among older adults. Participants learn to set realistic goals to increase activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and learn simple exercises to increase strength and balance.
- Stay Active and Independent for Life (S.A.I.L.) is a fitness exercise class designed to build strength and balance. It meets 2-3 times per week for 1 hour. There are up to 20 participants in each class and the exercises can be done sitting or standing at a person’s own pace. The class includes aerobics, balance exercises, strength training with hand weights or wrist and ankle weights, along with stretching exercises. Classes are led by a certified fitness instructor who attended the 2-day S.A.I.L. Instructor Training Program.
About Joani Shaver
Shaver is Director of the Blount County Office on Aging. A Certified Information and Referral Specialist for Aging Issues, Shaver has worked with elderly populations in several areas of the country. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Community Service from Michigan State University and has worked in nonprofit and higher education organizations all of her career. Under her direction, the Senior Miles (SMiles) transportation for elderly program has been implemented in Blount County.
Shaver can be reached at the Blount County Community Action Agency at 865-983-8411 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Community Action Agency website is www.blountcaa.org
The Office on Aging also publishes the Senior Services Directory which is available at no cost from the library, the Community Action Agency, Blount Memorial Hospital and the Senior Center at Everett.
Open to the public, thus program is hosted by the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 865-982-0981 or visit its website at www.blounttn.org/197.