Mini-Con is back for its fourth year this June! Mini-Con is a tiny, scrappy amateur comic convention that’s made with love, enthusiastic volunteers and all of the amazing people that come out to spend the day with us. Volunteers are needed to make this the best year ever! Sign up to help here (expired link removed).
Visit the Mini-Con 2018 Event page on Facebook for updates and details.
HOURLY SCHEDULE (Facebook, May 17, 2018)
Library doors open and vendors are finishing set-up and beginning to sell!
10:30 – 11:30
In the Dorothy Herron room, you’ll get the chance to learn about painting miniature figures for tabletop gaming and even paint your own. Space for this workshop is limited.
In the Sharon Lawson room, kids and families will have all kinds of science fun at an interactive show during our annual visit from Mr Bond’s Science Guys.
In the Children’s Department, Robyn & Neil McCammon from the Maryville Rock Academy, will be presenting some video game music for all ages.
11:30 – 12:30
The Smoky Mountain Ghostbusters will hang out in the Children’s Department for a Meet and Greet, accompanied by some Ghostbusters crafts and activities and possibly a ghost story or two.
In the Dorothy Herron Room, award-winning artist Matthew Atchley will speak about “Success as an Independent Artist”
In the Sharon Lawson Room, enjoy a short comedy show performed by actors from the Tennessee Pirate Fest!
12:30 – 2:30
In the Dorothy Herron Room, Youth Services Manager and Jeopardy winner Jennifer Spirko will host another round of nerdy trivia.
In the Sharon Lawson Room, all ages are invited to take a seat and watch a screening of The Incredibles to prepare themselves for the upcoming sequel.
1:00 – 3:00
Joining the fun activities like bubbles, chalk, music, face painting, games and more that we’ll be having outside is a professional balloon twister from Volunteer Balloons who will be making balloon creations for us.
2:30 – 3:30
In the Children’s Department, Bam Pow Creations is back and bringing your favorite superheroes and other characters to meet and take pictures with.
In the Dorothy Herron Room, you can enjoy a hands-on workshop where you’ll learn how to use and work with Worbla, a thermal plastic used to make cosplay armor. All ages and all attendees will be making masks that they get to keep, but space is limited and will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
In the Sharon Lawson Room, we happily welcome The Spooky Ooos, a paranormal honkytonk band who perform songs about UFOS, Big Foot and more, who will be performing a few of their songs for us!
4:00 – 5:00
We end the day with our cosplay contest in the Sharon Lawson Room! First, second and third place prizes will be given in the Children, Teen and Adult age brackets as well as one grand prize overall.
We’ll also announce the winner of our Next Great Hero contest during this time.
THROUGHOUT THE DAY
- All kinds of local vendors, including a pop-up book sale from the Blount County Friends of the Library.
- Tech Petting Zoo in the Learning Lab with Ozo-Bots, Cubelets, 3D printing and more.
- Coding activities for kids in the Computer Lab from the ORCSGirls.
- Outdoor fun including bubbles, chalk, games, music, face painting, etc.
- The Knoxville Academy of the Blade will be doing fencing demonstrations in the Reading Rotunda.
- Activities in the study rooms in the Reference Department to sit down and take a break: Harry Potter wand making, coloring pages, How to Draw books, origami and LEGOs.
- Fun activities and crafts set up for kids in the Children’s Department
- Photo backdrop with props in the Children’s Department
- Book displays to showcase our comic book and graphic novel collections
- More? Probably more. There might be more. We’ve got a lot of stuff going on, guys.
Free and open to the public, this program is sponsored by Blount County Friends of the Library and Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For further information about library programs or services, call the library at (865) 982-0981 or visit the website at www.blounttn.org/197/Public-Library.