Summer Reading Programs for all ages will kick-off with a Mini-Con comic convention at Blount County Public Library on May 28, 2016, from 10 a.m to 5:30 p.m. Registration starts at 9 a.m.
Blount County Friends of the Library (BCFOL) is sponsoring this year’s Mini-Con.
With superheroes in abundance, you’re invited to dress in costume as your favorite comic character and bring the whole family. Activities for children, teens, and adults will continue throughout the day.
- Cosplay contest (with prizes for winners!)
- Acting crash course with actor, Keith Brooks
- Q&A with author, Christopher Paolini, along with discussions with other local authors
- Fencing demonstrations
- Pokemon retrospective
- Costume design class
- Creating your own comic
- Ghostbusters Ecto-1 parked out front
- and much more, along with vendors from booksellers, artists, crafters, authors, cosplayers and others.
Register for the Summer Reading Program
On Saturday (and any time from May 28 through July 30), people of all ages may register to participate in the Summer Reading program. This year’s program categories will be:
Children: On Your Mark, Get Set … READ!
Teens: Get in the Game – READ!
Adults: Exercise Your Mind: READ!
► Get the Library’s Summer Reading Brochure for details and inspiration. [Brochure no longer available]
Mini-Con Event Schedule
Throughout the Day:
- Local artists, booksellers, crafters, cosplayers, authors, and other vendors sell their wares in the Main Gallery.
- Fencing demonstrations in the Reading Rotunda from the always amazing Knoxville Academy of the Blade.
- Adult Coloring all day long at tables in Reference area
- Origami all day long at tables in Teen Central
- Girl Scout Troop 20355 will be collecting used costumes, props, and related items to revamp and give away to kids in need, so clean out your cosplay and Halloween collections for a good cause.
- Check out the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 parked out front!
Hour by Hour Schedule:
- 9 a.m.
- Library opens; registration begins; vendors will be setting up.
- 10 a.m.
- Storytime: Kids and parents will participate in fun stories, songs, and rhymes about heroes, monsters, robots, aliens and more!
- Acting Crash Course: Sought-after acting teacher Keith Brooks, who has experience in both stage and screen and who will be having a Q&A about his work later in the day, will be teaching a crash course on acting that’s not to be missed.
- A Pokemon Retrospective: The Teams, The Rivals, and The Regions – Look back on the history of Pokemon with this interesting panel discussion.
- 11 a.m.
- Kid’s Art Lessons
- Acting Crash Course (Continued)
- Local Author Panel: Hear from a panel of local authors about their craft, their process and what it’s like to publish a book!
- 12 noon
- Lunch will be provided.
- Trivia: Test your knowledge with Jeopardy Winner Jennifer Spirko.
- YouTube Karaoke Party
- LEGO Challenge! Kids will do fun-themed LEGO building challenges that stimulate creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Pre-recorded Q&A with author Christopher Paolini: Paolini is best-known as the author of The Inheritance Cycle, which consists of the books Eragon, Eldest Brisingr and Inheritance.
- Costume Design 101: A panel of local cosplayers and costume designers will talk about their work and answer questions from the audience! They’ll also be back to judge the cosplay contest at the end of the day.
- Superhero Meet & Greet: Kids will have the opportunity to meet, talk to, get autographs and photos with some of their favorite superheroes!
- Create Your Own Comic: Participants will get a short lesson on character design from local artist Matthew Atchley before getting the opportunity to brainstorm their own comic book ideas! Art supplies will be provided, whether you want to collaborate with other con-goers or work solo, and there will be examples of comic books and graphic novels to browse through.
- Keith Brooks Q&A: Keith Brooks is an actor and director known for “The Walking Dead,” “Nerd Love” (2014), “Deadpool: A Typical Tuesday” (2012) and “For Those Who Are Lonely” (2014), among many others. Co-Owner of Bean Dip Productions, Keith currently works for Stan Lee’s World of Heroes providing content for the former Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics. In addition to his skills as an actor, Keith is also a sought-after acting coach due to his years of experience and incredible ability to teach. In addition to his films, Keith also has years of experience on stage, is an accomplished musician and songwriter and is highly skilled at Super Mario Bros. on the NES.
- Cosplay Contest: Everybody will gather together to show off their costumes for the chance to win awesome prizes! You’ll be separated into age groups (kids, teens and adults).
So conjure up your favorite comic character and be prepared for a fun day with other superheroes at this year’s Mini-Con at the Blount County Public Library!
Open to the public, this program is hosted by the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For further information about library programs or services, call the library at 982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blounttn.org/197/Public-Library.