Experience out-of-the-ordinary activities at the library: line dancing, yoga at your desk, honey-making exhibit, creativity techniques, basket making, local history, the new digital signage at the library and more! Events and activities will occur throughout the library.
Be at the Library on Saturday, July 11, 2015 from 1 to 4 p.m. for an extraordinary afternoon!
- 1:30 p.m. Line Dancing with Kay McDonald from the Wellness Center
- 2:30 p.m. Rapier Fighting Demonstration by the Barony of Thor’s Mountain, Society for Creative Anachronism
- 3:30 p.m. Tai Chi, a presentation by Clear’s Silat and Street Kung Fu
- Exhibits and Demos (from 1 to 4 p.m.)
- Digital Technology (Signage and in Meeting Rooms at the Library) by C. Williams, Library Director
- Basket Weaving by Bruce Robertson
- Chair Massage by Brittney Crump from Blount Memorial Wellness Center
- Laundry Soap: Science & Demo by Colette and Kathleen Souder of Rainwater Farm
- Textiles Demonstration (Spinning, weaving and knitting with fibers gathered from the denizens of her farm) by Sheri Liles of Liles Acres Organic Farm
- Blount County Master Gardener Association (discussing their current service project, the Shakespeare Garden at the library, and answering questions about plants and gardening)
- BYOD: Bring Your Own Device (If you have a tablet or smart phone and aren’t sure how best to take advantage of its features, area Girls Scouts will help visitors one-on-one to learn about the devices)
- Exhibits (from 1 to 4 p.m.)
- Blount County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Blount County Friends of the Library
- Clear’s Silat, Street Kung Fu (the many kinds of martial arts for various ages)
- Barony of Thor’s Mountain, Society for Creative Anachronism (table displays of medieval/Renaissance costumes, culture and crafts)
- Dennis Barry, Beekeeper (demonstration and display)
- Yoga in a Chair or at a Desk by Andrew Siprelle
- UTCVM H.A.B.I.T. (circumstances and consequences of human-animal bond – demo with at least one dog)
- Creativity Table by Kathleen Christy, Library Information Services Manager
Open to the public, this program is sponsored by the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For further information about library programs or services, call the library at 982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blountlibrary.org.