Doctor Who, Fireflies & Ventriloquism Kick off Summer Reading 2014 at the Blount County Public Library.
The Summer Reading Program features a science theme this year, and there are programs for teens, adults and children.
- Teens will have a kick-off movie event, Doctor Who, on Friday evening, May 30, after the library is closed. Of course, there will be free food.
- The Children’s kick-off will be on Saturday morning, May 31, culminating at noon with free pizza.
- The Adult kick-off event will feature a presentation about synchronous fireflies and an exhibit about firefly and butterfly-friendly gardens, on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.
Throughout June and July there will be multiple events, activities, and fun … and, of course, lots of reading! And reading can be in e-book format, too! All three summer reading programs will have reading logs so that participants can read and earn chances to win some pretty cool prizes.
We look forward to seeing you at the library for each of these kick-off events:
- Friday, May 30, 6:30 to 9 p.m., “Doctor Who” showing of an after-library-hours movie for Teen Movie Night in the Sharon Lawson Room. Enter the library at the door to the Sharon Lawson Room at the Employee Parking Lot end of the library. This movie will be the kick-off event for the Teen Summer Reading Program. Stay tuned for more activities, events, fun and games during June and July!
- 10:00 a.m. – Games, Activities, and Face Painting by Faces Gone Wild
- 11:00 a.m. – Fizz! Boom! Read! The Science of Ventriloquism with Gene Cordova
- 12:00 p.m. – PIZZA!
- Saturday, May 31, 2 p.m., “Synchronous Fireflies” presentation by Becky Nichols, Entomologist with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Service, will be the Kick-off Event for the Adult Summer Reading Program. Nichols will discuss many of the species of fireflies that occur in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, as well as in surrounding areas. She will cover their ecology and behavior as well as how to identify different species based on flash patterns. Of course, the main discussion will be regarding the synchronous firefly and how it became so famous. The program will be in the Sharon Lawson Room. For further information about the Adult Summer Reading Program, stay tuned for more activities, events, fun and games!
- “Grow a Firefly-Friendly or Butterfly-Friendly Garden” Exhibit by Blount County Master Gardeners in the Meeting Room Hallway/Sharon Lawson Room.
- “Make a Firefly Craft” DIY (Do-It-Yourself) in the Meeting Room Hallway.
- Saturday, May 31-August 15, “Adult Summer Reading Program, “Literary Elements.” Win at Literary Elements BINGO by reading books for chances to win prizes such as gift cards or certificates to area restaurants for weekly prizes and grand prizes. Pick up rules and register at the Circulation Desk of the library.
Throughout the summer, there will be showings of multiple movies with a science theme, so be sure to check the schedule for movies and numerous other events that will be informative and fun.
Free and open to the public, these programs are at the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For further information about other library programs or services, call the library at 982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blounttn.org/197.