Debates are in progress and Election Day will be here soon (Tuesday, November 8). If you’re looking for websites and other resources for accurate, unbiased voter information, attend the Blount County Public Library’s upcoming presentation, Be Informed to Vote Smart. Presenters will focus on tech tools and resources that can help voters check facts and make more informed choices and learn more about the voting process.
Attendees should bring smart phones, tablets, or laptops if possible. Otherwise, equipment will be available for use at the training. Attendees will have the opportunity to register to vote.
Attend this free informational program on Monday, October 10, at 6:30 p.m. in Dorothy Herron Room A. Space is limited. Please register at the library Reference Desk or call (865) 273-1428 or (865) 982-0981 ext. 4.
Important! If you read the earlier Press Release, the venue has changed. It’s now Dorothy Herron Room A, not “The Learning Lab – the newly renovated building next to the library at 205 N. Cusick St. (formerly the First Tennessee Bank branch)”.
Sponsors of this event include Blount County Public Library (BCPL) in collaboration with the Blount County Election Commission, the Blount County League of Women Voters, and Blount County United.
- K.C. Williams, BCPL Director
- Jennifer Spirko, BCPL Reference Librarian
- Margaret Muller, Knox County Adult Education
- Susan Hughes, Blount County Election Commission Administrator of Elections
- Sharon Hannum, Blount County United, Civil/Government Committee Chair
Get user-friendly hands-on experience
Attendees can get hands-on experience using an array of websites and apps to find up-to-date, objective information on candidates as well as information on where to vote, how to find the election calendar and election results. And participants will have the opportunity to register to vote.
Presenters will highlight seven different websites (and brochures for each will be available):
- vote411.org and www.lwvblountcounty.org — League of Women Voters
- www.blounttn.org/election/ — Blount County Election Commission
- sos.tn.gov/elections and share.tn.gov/sos/election/GoVoteTN_App/landing.html — Tennessee Secretary of State
- congress.gov — U. S. Congress
- whitehouse.gov/1600/executive-branch — White House: The Executive Branch
- FactCheck.org — Check Facts
- bestcolleges.com/resources/student-voting-guide/ — Student Voting Guide
Open to the public, this program is sponsored by the Blount County Public Library, located at 508 N. Cusick Street, Maryville. For more information about library programs or services, call the library at 982-0981 or visit the Web site at www.blounttn.org/197