In 1974 a group pre-dating the current Blount County Friends of the Library (BCFOL) was formed to support the relocation of the A. K. Harper Memorial Library built in 1931.
The BCFOL was organized in the 1970s to create community interest and support for fund-raising efforts to build the McGhee Street Library. The BCFOL then became a support group for the Library staff and helped move the collection to the new Library.
In 1982 the Library moved to the McGhee Street location, but in less than 20 years outgrew that location.
The Library moved to its current location on North Cusick Street in 2002 (the old Sky City property).