For fourteen years a dedicated team of volunteers has been reaching out and entertaining older members of the Blount County community.
In February, 2004 the Friends of the Library received a request for a volunteer to “read to residents” at a local health facility. What resulted was a full-fledged outreach program designed to bring the riches of the library to people no longer able to get there on their own.
Through carefully constructed programs, Presenters deliver bi-monthly life enrichment opportunities to residents at 10 venues showcasing stories, articles, trivia, fun facts, poetry, music, art and humor. To date more than 17,500 people have participated.
Known within the community as Friends From the Library, Ex Libris takes pride in assisting others in their desire to “continue a lifetime of learning.”
Ex Libris Volunteers
Programs are given twice a month at each facility and generally run for 45-60 minutes.
Ex Libris is NOT a book discussion group NOR does it consist of reading one book, page by page to residents. Programs are multi-dimensional, interactive and lively.
Seeking a Few Good Volunteers
Requests continue to come in to bring Ex Libris to other facilities. With the addition of a few more members to the Ex Libris Team, these requests can be honored. Won’t you help?
Who Should Want to Join Ex Libris?
- Anyone who wishes to “give something back” to the community, now that they have the time in which to do it.
- Anyone who would like to share their love of books, reading, storytelling or general knowledge about the world around us with others.
- Anyone who wishes to honor and learn first hand from the very people who were and still are “The Greatest Generation”.
- Anyone who can imagine what it would be like to no longer be able to take advantage of the wealth of information and entertainment available to all of us through our libraries which keeps us in touch with the world.
- Anyone who can appreciate the quotation from Lord of the Rings when Gandalf answers Frodo’s question as to what he should do:
All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that has been given you.
It’s a Piece of Cake!
Ex Libris “Pirates” Love Soup Mix!
Ex Libris was invited to do an outdoor program for the New Providence Bartlett Adult Day Out Program at Pearson Springs Park in September 2014.
Most of the Ex Libris team attended and helped deliver the program. Afterwards we were treated to a lovely “volunteer luncheon” and were presented with a delightful thank you gift of “Love” Soup Mix, thanks to Trish Bartlett.
We all came away feeling “loved” and like we are now part of the New Providence “family”.
Care to Observe a Program or Learn More?
If so contact Barbara Zurl, Program Director
Ex Libris Library Extension Program
Phone: (865) 977-5034
► Use our email Contact Form ◄