Beginning in February 2004 as “The Book Club” at Morningview Transitional Care Center, Ex Libris has grown into a multi-faceted community outreach program.
Through carefully constructed programs, volunteer presenters deliver bi-monthly life enrichment opportunities to those members of the community no longer able to get to the library.
Ex Libris has been serving area residents for 13 years bringing stories, articles, trivia, fun facts, poetry, humor, music and art to well over 12,500 people. Ex Libris means “from the library” or alternatively, “from the book”. Each month a team of 6 volunteers prepares hour-long presentations designed to inform and entertain people at 9 venues utilizing the resources of our library. Within the community we have come to be known as “Friends From the Library”. ►View our Mission Statement
Ex Libris Volunteers
Facilities served include Asbury Place Health Center, Clover Hill Senior Living, Fairpark Nursing & Rehab, Kindred Transitional Care, Liberty Assisted Living, Morningview Village Senior Community, New Providence Bartlett Adult Day Out Program, Brookdale – Sandy Springs and Brookdale – Brown’s Creek.
Programs are given twice a month at each facility and generally run for 45-60 minutes.
Ex Libris is NOT a book discussion group NOR does it consist of reading one book, page by page to residents. Programs are multi-dimensional, interactive and lively.
Seeking a Few Good Volunteers
Requests continue to come in to bring Ex Libris to other facilities. With the addition of a few more members to the Ex Libris Team, these requests can be honored. Won’t you help?
Who Should Want to Join Ex Libris?
- Anyone who wishes to “give something back” to the community, now that they have the time in which to do it.
- Anyone who would like to share their love of books, reading, storytelling or general knowledge about the world around us with others.
- Anyone who wishes to honor and learn first hand from the very people who were and still are “The Greatest Generation”.
- Anyone who can imagine what it would be like to no longer be able to take advantage of the wealth of information and entertainment available to all of us through our libraries which keeps us in touch with the world.
- Anyone who can appreciate the quotation from Lord of the Rings when Gandalf answers Frodo’s question as to what he should do:
All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that has been given you.
It’s a Piece of Cake!
Ex Libris “Pirates” Love Soup Mix!
Ex Libris was invited to do an outdoor program for the New Providence Bartlett Adult Day Out Program at Pearson Springs Park in September 2014.
Most of the Ex Libris team attended and helped deliver the program. Afterwards we were treated to a lovely “volunteer luncheon” and were presented with a delightful thank you gift of “Love” Soup Mix, thanks to Trish Bartlett.
We all came away feeling “loved” and like we are now part of the New Providence “family”.
Care to Observe a Program or Learn More?
If so contact Barbara Zurl, Program Director
Ex Libris Library Extension Program
Phone: (865) 977-5034
► Use our email Contact Form ◄